Friday, September 9, 2011

INSPIRATION STATION!

It's important to surround yourself with imagery and ideas that inspire you to create. Especially, if like me, a graphic artist, you're 9 to 5er depends on it. But even if your main career path doesn't allow for much flexibility in the creative realm, it's still important to incorporate it when you can. Every day should have your own spin on it, from the minute you drink your custom made coffee to the time you lay your head on your intricately placed pillow. All aspects of our lives require some amount of imagination, whether we realize it or not. So for this, I think it's vital to have an inspiration station. For my man, it's a collection of photos on his iphone that he acquires throughout his many travels. For mi Madre, it's a ton of folded corners in a stack of magazines. And for me, it's a gigantic 4' x 8' cork board in my bedroom. I've filled it with a mass of cut outs and screenshots I've gathered over time, all of imagery that inspires me to create on the daily. It really works, I promise.




To make this in your own space, you will need:

:: 4' x 8' piece of particle board, like this one, from Lowe's
:: 4 pieces of wood framing, stained and sanded to your liking
:: drill & screws, and the help of a helper
:: a stud finder
:: push pins

:: locate the available studs in your wall
:: mount 4' x 8' particle board using your drill, hopefully making it through a stud...or 2
:: add your frame around the board by drilling 4 wood pieces to the outsides
:: go crazy and fill your wall!


No comments:

Post a Comment